Garnet sand represents granules of natural mineral of a metamorphic origin – an almandin of pomegranate. Almandin has unique physics and technology properties: it is very strong – its specific density makes about 4,1 - 4,3 g/cm3 – and material, steady against a degeneration. While on classification of abrasives garnet sand belongs to the category of "the average hardness", it with ease replaces abrasives of high hardness, for example such as artificial corundum. It is reached due to resistance of an almandin to attrition. It is not surprising that spheres of use of garnet sand constantly increase, its consumption – also increases.
- Cleaning of surfaces – is one of the main scopes of garnet sand. Use of an almandin instead of quartz in sanding devices allows to increase the speed and efficiency of works honor by 5 times. Thus external walls of buildings, the bottoms of the ships are cleaned, apply garnet sand and when cleaning surfaces of radioactive infection. Sand of 1,1, 0,5, 0,6 - 0,4, 0,4 - 0,2, 0,3 - 0,15 mm in size is used.
- Cleaning waste, drinking water, wines – at the expense of high degree of wettability garnet sand works as the filter, allowing to delete various impurity. What is especially important at water purification – pomegranate improves its organoleptic properties. Also it is used for purification of oils, oil. The applied size of granules – 2,5–1,7, 1,1, 1,4–0,6, 0,5, 0,6–0,4, 0,4–0,2 mm.
- Production of various abrasives: traditional – skins, abrasive circles, etc. , and also soft – pastes for grinding and polishing. Dimension 0,34–0,1, 0,08–0,036, 0,15–0,18, 0,10–0,15, 0,03, 0,01 mm is used.
- Production of ceramics and electroceramics – here garnet sand acts as an exicipient, a composite. In addition pomegranate and in exact casting found the application: its use allows to increase number of fillings by 30 times in comparison with use of quartz.
- garnet sand is used for hydroabrasive cutting. Under high pressure – over 4000 atmospheres the garnet fraction mixes up with water, turning thus into the ideal cutting tool. Water - jet cutting allows to do accurate cuts practically of any materials – glasses, a stone, plastic, rubber, all types of metals.